Work With Me
- Utility at Anya Hindmarch
- My Year In The Fast Lane – Going Global.
- The 10 Principles of Power
- Brand You – Preparing For Success
- A Winter of Travel: Freedom, Business, Lifestyle
- Nothing To Wear- Find Your Signature Style
- Start Your Own Business
- The Eagle has Landed – American Eagle at Westfield London
- A Summer of Travel: Business and Pleasure
- West Coast Winter – South Africa
- Fabulous at Forty: Diane Von Furstenberg Wrapping Up At Galeries Lafayette.
- Une journée à Seven Dials
- Queen Bestows Damehood On Zandra Rhodes
- What Would Maya Angelou Do?
- Health And Wealth – Herbalife’s Winning Formula Against Obesity And Unemployment.
- Can The Sugar And Shake Your Cravings…
- Dot London – April 29
- Autumn Trend: A Red Hot 2014.
- Paris Fashion Week – Streetstyle
- Parlez-Vous M&S? – Twenty New Food Stores To Open In France.
- Celine’s New Flagship Store Opens At No.103 Mount Street London.
- Stay Cool With The ‘Ice Queen’ Of French Cinema – Catherine Deneuve
- Woman On The Move – Anita Barr Joins Harvey Nichols
- Ines de la Fressange Paris’ LifeWear Uniqlo Collection.
- I Can See Clearly Now.
- A French Affair
- Boris Johnson – ‘Mad Props To The Real G’
- Phoebe Philo – Sneaking Into Work.
- Hermès – The Kelly, The Birkin And Other Keepsakes.
- Victoria Beckham – Pretty Powerful.
- Nigella Lawson – The Taste of Success.
- Stella McCartney – Music And Fashion Were Always My Passion.
- French Women Don’t Get Facelifts
- Mulberry – The Delevingne Factor
- Are You Sitting Down?
- The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show.
- BOE Chief Mark Carney – Raising The Roof On UK Mortgage Loan Boom.
- Churchhaven – West Coast National Park South Africa
- Blue Sky Thinking – Enjoying South African Hospitality
- Winelands Marathon – Making A Run For It!
- Isabel Marant Tees Up At H&M.
- Oxford Street Christmas Lights.
- J Crew – Michelle Obama’s Click To Chic Hits London
- Slim And Strong For Life – Unleash Your Potential.
- supermodel flyfisher
- Bobbi Brown – First UK Standalone Store At White City
- Postcards From Paris
- Joan Collins – A Passion For Life
- The Thames Path – Europe’s Most Spectacular City Walk.
- Tea And Sympathy – Mariage Freres
March 2019 M T W T F S S « Jan 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Blogs I Follow
Marie Casey on What Would Maya Angelou D… Jo on My Year In The Fast Lane… 25 World’s Most Powe… on Angela Ahrendts – Energy… Brittany on Nothing To Wear- Find Your Sig… engelaminshull on A Summer of Travel: Business a…
- Follow worklondonstyle on WordPress.com
Category Archives: Leather jacket
Sit! This basic command to the family pet is one often exercised for extensive periods by the rest of the family at home, school or the office. “Sitting is the new smoking”, says Anup Kanodia; physician and researcher at the Centre For Personalised Health Care at Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Centre.
An Australian study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine in October 2012 stated that every one hour of sitting watching TV, reduces a person’s life by 22 minutes, whilst every cigarette shortens a smoker’s life by about 11 minutes.
“The chair is out to kill us,” States James Levine, an endocrinologist at the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine. In the UK physical inactivity is responsible for 17% of early deaths. It is an international epidemic, causing 6% of deaths around the world, making it one of the top four global killers. It can shorten life expectancy by three to five years.
The cure for physical inactivity could be as simple as walking. It costs nothing and it’s health benefits are proven. It can reduce the risk from heart disease to breast cancer. All it takes is a little self motivation and determination. With some planning it can be done anywhere in all weather.
Sitting still burns very few calories and can pile on the pounds over time. Levine States that a person with a desk job may burn 300 calories a day at work whilst the same person might burn 2,300 per day in a job that requires considerable physical output. Sitting can lead to insulin resistance and suppress the production of lipase, which is essential for turning bad cholesterol into good. Thus the link between prolonged sitting, diabetes and heart disease.
What to do if your job calls for many hours of staying seated? A study published in Diabetes Care last year showed you can improve your glucose metabolism with a two minute walk every 20 minutes. It is recommended that people engage in 150 minutes per week of moderate intensity physical activity. This is equivalent to 30 minutes each day, 5 times per week.
Dr Hannah Bridges, senior information officer at Breakthrough Breast Cancer says, “Any activity that raises your pulse reduces your risk – so regular brisk walks are an easy and free way to get active.”
French born Marant was destined for a career in fashion as her German mother was the director of Elite model agency. Originally harbouring dreams of becoming a vet, she launched her fashion career in 1990 with Twen, a knitwear collection, collaborating with her mother.
Having studied at Studio Bergot, the Paris fashion college, she set up her studio in 1994 in the Marais district and opened her first store in the Bastille district in 1998. Known for her star ‘i’ logo she launched a more accessibly priced line ‘Etoile’ in 1999. Her high street collection for H&M, originally showcased in Paris in September, launches in London on 14 November.
Marant is her own muse and of her collection for H&M she says, “I realised that the best thing to do for H&M would be the pieces that I love the most”. She says, “I always wear a t-shirt. And most of the time I wear a sweatshirt.”
Her rock’n’roll, relaxed handwriting is often seen on models including Kate Moss, Alexa Chung, Miranda Kerr and Elle Macpherson.
Isabel Marant for H&M will include an exclusive menswear collection. The launch event in Paris was a sell-out and is expected to be one of the fastest-selling H&M collaborative collections since the start of the initiative in London.
Jenna Lyons, president and creative director of J Crew is the force behind the rapid sales rise at the North American brand. Rising through the ranks since graduating at age 21 from Parson’s School of Design in New York, the 44 year old is a high profile woman in consumer fashion; one of only three on Time Magazine’s 2013 top 100 most influential people list.
Five years ago on Monday, October 27, 2008 Michelle Obama appeared on The Tonight Show in a complete J Crew outfit. Drawn on her shopping habits she replied,”When you don’t have time, you’ve got to click.”
On April 1, 2009 Michelle wore J Crew’s Crystal constellation cardigan and the Dazzling-dots pencil skirt in mint green whilst joining Sarah Brown for a meeting at Charing Cross in London.
The 30 year old brand started out as a mail order specialist and runs 249 stores in North America. The long awaited opening of the Regent street store brings the mismatched, masculine meets feminine style of Lyons to central London. Expect to pay up to 40% more than in North America. Layering is key to the J Crew look with oversized statement necklaces and bejewelled cuffs to finish off an outfit.
Jenna has been in the press for her relationship with girlfriend Courtney Crangi after a very public divorce from husband, Vincent Mazeau. Her style is central to the brand’s transformation and success.
J Crew opened a menswear store at 38 Lamb’s Conduit on 10th October 2013. The Flagship store opens at 165, Regent Street, W1 on Friday. J Crew’s Chairman and CEO, Millard “Mickey” Drexler, called it “an important flagship location on arguably one of the most important streets in one of the most important locations in the world”.
Paris holds a special place in my heart. The annual Lycée book haul can prove less than glamorous unless combined with a brief visit to some favourite shops and stops. Journey with me.